Design Award 2017: Jaguar I-Pace
We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
The Auto Express Design Award is decided by you, our readers, via a poll on our website – and now the votes have been counted we can reveal that the car you consider the most stylish to be unveiled over the past 12 months is Jaguar’s all-electric concept, the I-Pace.
It beat some seriously tough competition to win, which is extremely encouraging for the British brand as it prepares to launch its first pure EV.
The all-electric powertrain is a first for the firm, and allowed designers to take a fresh set of ideas and create a brand new look. It’s a little smaller than the F-Pace, at 4,680mm long and 1,890mm wide, but there’s a much longer wheelbase that creates the distinctive ‘cab-forward’ look.
Those aggressive headlights and the huge grille are inspired by 2010’s C-X75 supercar concept, and the deep front bumper vents, big alloys and sculpted sides give it a sporty stance befitting of any Jaguar.
It’s not just the exterior that you love about the I-Pace; the interior is another revolutionary step for Jag. Three screens and touch-sensitive buttons with haptic feedback cover the dash, delivering a mix of digital and analogue. It’s still at the concept stage for now, but these aspects will certainly inspire the production car we’ll see towards the end of 2018.
This EV should deliver rock-bottom running costs, with a claimed range of 310 miles on a single charge, and an 80 per cent top-up taking just 90 minutes via a rapid charger. Plus, the twin electric motors deliver 395bhp and 700Nm of torque instantly, which should be enough for 0-60mph in around four seconds.
We’ll have to wait and see how well the newcomer fares when we drive it, but for now there’s no doubt the look of the I-Pace has won over car fans everywhere.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended