Car of the Year 2017: Land Rover Discovery
The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
An Auto Express Car of the Year must raise the bar, innovate and offer something new in its class. The Land Rover Discovery does exactly that. It pushes the boundaries of what’s possible in the premium SUV sector, providing additional technology, a cosseting cabin with more than enough space for seven, sophistication and a level of comfort that’s unmatched at this price.
Land Rover has also pushed the boundaries when it comes to styling. The Discovery’s looks won’t be to everyone’s taste, but there’s no denying its imposing stance. It’s a similar story inside, where the smart rising centre console and first-rate construction mix solidity and quality.
With V6 turbodiesel and supercharged petrol motors sitting alongside the twin-turbo Sd4, there are plenty of options in the engine bay. The V6 diesel boasts an extra 100Nm of torque over the four-cylinder if pulling power and off-road performance rank high on your list of requirements. However, with all Discovery models being fitted with air-suspension as standard, ride comfort and refinement are a given.
Rivals struggle to match the Discovery’s space, adaptability and versatility, while Land Rover’s traditional approach to off-road use means the model is unbeatable away from the tarmac. Plus the neat fold-out boot ledge that can hold up to 300kg helps to negate the move to a single-piece tailgate from the car’s traditional split boot door.
Meanwhile, three different ways to fold the rear seats (depending on spec), along with connected services and brilliant smartphone integration, mean the Discovery seamlessly integrates into family life.
The Land Rover’s strongest trait is the way it marries every aspect of its personality to deliver something that covers all the bases – offering exactly what you’d expect from a large premium SUV. It mixes an innovative approach for a seven-seater, serving up something no top-notch 4x4 before it has offered. It raises the bar of what’s expected from a premium SUV, which is why it’s the Auto Express Car of the Year 2017.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended