Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017: Jaguar XE
The Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
The Jaguar XE remains our favourite compact executive car for the third year running, despite strong competition from established German rivals and the all-new Alfa Romeo Giulia. While others excel in one area, none can match the baby Jag’s breadth of talent.
It’s great to drive, is packed with kit and the relatively refined 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel is fast and frugal. Recent additions to the engine range have only confirmed the car’s standing as our top compact exec, too. Buyers are offered options spanning the fleet-friendly, low-emissions diesel to the sports car-baiting supercharged petrol – with anything and everything in between. The lightweight aluminium architecture gives the XE an edge in this class and makes it feel impressively agile.
The standard rear-wheel-drive layout and well weighted steering mean this is one of the more involving cars to drive in its category, too, relaying plenty of reassuring messages back to the driver. This ensures the XE delivers some fun but still provides enough refinement and comfort to ensure it excels where it needs to as a junior executive saloon.
Jaguar’s slick-shifting eight-speed auto gearbox is among the best in the business, while the option of all-wheel drive across the range adds reassurance in tricky conditions.
A cosseting but controlled ride is the icing on the car’s perfectly constructed cake, plus you can enhance the breadth of ability on offer by going for Adaptive Dynamics automatically adjustable suspension dampers that monitor conditions and tweak the settings to suit the mode you’re in.
Inside, the car comes loaded with standard equipment, with even entry-level models boasting two-zone climate control, DAB radio and Jaguar’s InControl infotainment complete with satellite navigation. Mid-range R-Sport versions offer the best value, however, adding heated leather seats and sportier trim.
Buyers in this sector value style as highly as substance, and the XE is up there with the best cars on the market. Its sleek lines and distinctive front end give it real presence on the road, while the F-Type-inspired lighting signature ensures that it stands out at night, too.
The only downside is the slightly cramped cabin compared with more spacious rivals, but there’s still enough practicality here thanks to the 455-litre boot. However, the XE’s real benefit is in its driver-focused feel that’s missing from some other models in this class.
Jaguar XE 2.0d 180 R-Sport Auto (£35,285)
While racier R-Sport trim adds some additional style to the XE, it manages to balance this with cost. The ride is not too firm, either, meaning the Jaguar offers plenty of comfort along with a sporty edge that involves the driver once you turn off the motorway. It’s quiet and refined when cruising, while the infotainment system helps make living with the car relatively simple.
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Alfa’s most convincing model in more than two decades came within a hair’s breadth of taking the compact exec title. It’s arguably the most desirable-looking car in this sector, but unlike Alfas of old, it backs up the style with a decent driving experience, efficient engines and a practical yet high-quality interior.
BMW 3 Series
The BMW 3 Series remains one of the most complete cars on sale today, and a round of recent model revisions only cements its place near the top of this class. It’s great to drive, roomy and well built, and the addition of a 330e plug-in hybrid version means it now offers lower emissions than most small city cars.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 16Convertible of the Year 2017The Mercedes C-Class Cabriolet is the 2017 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and MINI Convertible commended
- 17Coupe of the Year 2017The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 18Roadster of the Year 2017The Mazda MX-5 RF is the 2017 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Fiat 124 Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Performance Car of the Year 2017The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2017 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 720S commended
- 20Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
- 21Executive Car of the Year 2017The BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
- 22Luxury Car of the Year 2017The Mercedes S-Class is the 2017 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Van of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Crafter is the 2017 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit and Peugeot Expert commended
- 24Electric car of the Year 2017The BMW i3 is the 2017 Auto Express Electric Car of the Year, with the Renault ZOE and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Technology Award 2017BMW wins the Auto Express 2017 Technology Award with its range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and semi-autonomous systems
- 26Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
- 27Social Media Campaign of the Year 2017BMW's 'Genius - Live' has won the 2017 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 28Design Award 2017We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
- 29Driver Power Award 2017Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year