Coupe of the Year 2017: Audi A5 Coupe
The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
If you ask what most buyers want from a great coupe, then ‘head-turning style’ is probably at the top of their list. However, any contender to the crown in this category needs much more than a pretty face to succeed – and that’s where the Audi A5 scores so highly.
Based on an all-new platform, the handsome A5 follows the same template as its successful predecessor by providing similarly sleek lines, surprising practicality and an interior that oozes premium appeal.
But the latest-generation version moves the game on significantly thanks to its vastly improved driving dynamics, performance, efficiency and infotainment. The foundations of the A5’s award-winning display can be traced back to the light and strong VW Group MLB Evo platform under the skin; this made its debut on Audi’s A4 saloon. Draped over this advanced architecture is a body that combines curves, creases and carefully considered detailing to eye-catching effect.
Yet the designers haven’t limited their efforts to the exterior, because just as much attention has been lavished on the A5’s cabin, which is one of the best in the business. Slickly styled and dripping in high-quality materials, it helps make every journey in the car something to savour.
Adding to the upmarket ambience is Audi’s Virtual Cockpit layout, which replaces the traditional instrument dials with a vast 12.3-inch configurable TFT screen. Yet there’s space to go with the grace, as the beautifully crafted interior can comfortably accommodate four adults, while the 465-litre boot is big enough to swallow all their luggage.
The A5 drives as well as it looks, too, particularly when equipped with the company’s famed quattro four-wheel-drive system. Yet like all the best coupe models, the Audi is just as adept at playing the role of grand tourer, thanks to its strong refinement and decent comfort.
As you’d expect, there’s also a wide array of highly capable petrol and diesel engines, as well as the pulse-quickening S5 and RS5 versions. Combining style and substance, the desirable and talented A5 Coupe has all the bases covered.
Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI quattro Sport (£40,570)
Sophisticated Audi suits the smooth and extremely punchy 249bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine, while quattro four-wheel-drive transmission delivers secure and engaging handling. Sport specification brings all the equipment you’ll need and won’t break the bank to buy.
Sharply styled TT has been knocked off the top spot by its big brother in the range, but it’s still a hugely alluring coupe. Great to drive, superbly finished and packed with technology, the low-slung Audi is a fine choice for buyers who want to stand out on the road.
Porsche 718 Cayman
The new turbocharged four-cylinder engine remains a bone of contention for diehard Porsche fans. Yet while it lacks the spine-tingling soundtrack of the old car, it delivers stunning performance. However, sublime handling and driver engagement are the 718 Cayman’s major calling cards.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended