Driver Power Award 2017: Lexus
Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year
This year we made our Driver Power reader survey bigger, better and more comprehensive by posing more questions than ever before. As a result, manufacturers faced more pressure to do well as we asked new car owners to rate their models in 31 areas, leaving no stone unturned to reveal the successes and failures of the market.
To be crowned best of all, a manufacturer can’t afford any big slip-ups. And no other maker mastered the task as well as Lexus, which topped this year’s survey thanks to excellent results across every one of the categories we investigated, finishing with an overall satisfaction score of 92.29 per cent.
Highlights included first place finishes in several areas. Owners found Lexus’ petrol-only and hybrid powertrains quiet and refined, rating the brand first in the engine category. Styling and exterior looks were another area where the brand trumped rivals, with futuristic models like the RX and NX SUVs helping Lexus score a coveted first place for exterior design.
It was the same story inside, where Lexus beat premium rivals like Audi, BMW and Mercedes to take the crown for interior design and comfort. Owners were happiest about the styling of their cars’ cabins, the finish and seat comfort – key areas for any driver.
Reliability and build quality remain crucial in Driver Power; little else matters if your car has to go back to the workshop every week. This is a traditionally strong area for Lexus, and it didn’t disappoint, with owners rating their vehicles the highest in the field, stating the firm’s products were the most reliable out of the 75 new cars we listed. The only finish outside the top 10 was 16th in the running costs category.
Simply put, owners tell us there isn’t much that they would change about their Lexus, as the brand’s cars combine comfort, practicality, refinement, reliability, design and safety in equal measure. You really can’t ask for more.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended