Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017: Skoda
Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
Skoda knew its Kodiaq was a competitive car that deserved to be taken seriously. Yet it was also aware that family motorists didn’t associate themselves with the brand. It needed to reach that audience, change those perceptions and show off the car. The answer was a clever integrated campaign: Driven by Something Different, which launched in February.
The broad idea was that Skoda owners followed a different path and were independent thinkers. Who better to represent them than brand ambassador Sir Bradley Wiggins, who also linked to Skoda’s long-running sponsorship of cycling events?
For the Kodiaq, the idea was to invite families to ‘reconnect’; to take time out to enjoy what really matters. Hence Sir Bradley was filmed in the SUV on the school run, walking dogs and out with friends. The punchline is that he worked all his life to achieve the best times on his bike, but the best times are really when he’s with his family and friends – a message that was cleverly put across in an attention-grabbing and heartfelt way. The campaign was run across all channels for maximum reach.
The result was a huge success for Skoda, with improved brand perception among family motorists and a record number of requests for test drives.
Our judges felt the campaign was well thought through, efficient and good to look at – like the car. It has also signalled a shift in brand perceptions at scale, especially with a younger family audience. Brand consideration peaked at 13.5 per cent for females (+5.6 ppt) and 15.8 per cent for under-55s (+4.2 ppt) during the campaign period. The launch exceeded Skoda’s objectives as well; orders beat expectations by 30 per cent during the campaign.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended