Executive Car of the Year 2017: BMW 5 Series
The BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
Things move quickly in the executive market. The all-new 5 Series has reclaimed its crown as the class champ thanks to its winning blend of style, refinement and technology.
Based on a new platform, the BMW adopts much of the technology from the larger and more expensive 7 Series, but packages it into a cheaper proposition, while offering a much more involving drive at the same time.
Among the 5 Series’ talents are a new auto parking system that allows the saloon to be moved in and out of tight spaces using an optional digital key fob. A new Driving Assistant Plus pack also lets the car accelerate, brake and steer itself on the motorway at speeds of up to 130mph. It will even change lanes and overtake, proving just how advanced this BMW is.
Refinement has also taken a leap forward with the latest model, with a range of smooth engines and a supremely cosseting ride. Go for adaptive dampers and the breadth of ability is widened further still, offering a supple, flowing ride in Comfort mode.
The 5 Series retains its excellent driving dynamics. Ramp the dampers up to Sport and the sharp turn-in, strong body control and impressive grip make this a sporting executive saloon. The new platform has helped trim around 100kg from the seventh-generation model, which goes some way into making it one of the most nimble and engaging executive cars on sale.
Four and six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines are available, while xDrive four-wheel drive is offered on selected models. All cars get an eight-speed gearbox, which changes smoothly in auto and snaps through ratios quickly in manual mode. Allied to the 187bhp 2.0-litre diesel, the powertrain serves up decent performance, excellent refinement and impressive running costs, with a claimed 68.8mpg. The BMW doesn’t skimp on luxury, either, with a full leather interior, sat-nav and digital instruments as standard.
BMW 520d SE (£36,165)
Only SE and M Sport trims are offered in the 5 Series line-up; racier M Sport models bring a beefier bodykit and extra equipment, but cost a further £3,020. So it’s the entry-level SE version we’d go for, as this gets the same impressive and intuitive infotainment system, a digital dash and just as much comfort, agility and quality. The 2.0 diesel engine also offers the best balance of performance and economy.
If a sophisticated driving experience and plenty of luxury is what you’re after then the Mercedes E-Class has it in spades. It lacks the 5 Series’ overall engagement and excitement, but makes up for it with a beautifully crafted cabin, impressive digital displays and air suspension, even if they’re optional extras.
Tesla Model S
Tesla’s assault on the mainstream manufacturers continues as subtle updates to the Model S make it a genuine alternative in the executive class. It might be on the pricey side and quality leaves a little to be desired in some areas, but nothing else like it offers such a mix of astonishing performance and rock-bottom running costs. This is a genuinely viable executive EV.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 16Convertible of the Year 2017The Mercedes C-Class Cabriolet is the 2017 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and MINI Convertible commended
- 17Coupe of the Year 2017The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 18Roadster of the Year 2017The Mazda MX-5 RF is the 2017 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Fiat 124 Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Performance Car of the Year 2017The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2017 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 720S commended
- 20Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017The Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
- 21Executive Car of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
- 22Luxury Car of the Year 2017The Mercedes S-Class is the 2017 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Van of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Crafter is the 2017 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit and Peugeot Expert commended
- 24Electric car of the Year 2017The BMW i3 is the 2017 Auto Express Electric Car of the Year, with the Renault ZOE and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Technology Award 2017BMW wins the Auto Express 2017 Technology Award with its range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and semi-autonomous systems
- 26Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
- 27Social Media Campaign of the Year 2017BMW's 'Genius - Live' has won the 2017 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 28Design Award 2017We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
- 29Driver Power Award 2017Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year