Family Car of the Year 2017: Skoda Superb
The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
Three is the magic number for the Skoda Superb, which has notched up a hat-trick of victories in our Family Car category.
At the heart of the Superb’s success story is its vast interior, which swallows everything a growing family can throw at it. Occupants in the back of the Skoda get the sort of legroom that is normally reserved for long-wheelbase limousines, while you could get lost in the hatchback’s cavernous 625-litre boot, such is its capacity.
Yet there’s more to this car than sheer volume; it’s clever, too. The interior is packed with handy storage spaces, while neat touches such as umbrellas hidden in the front doors, a removable torch in the boot and an ice scraper in the fuel filler flap reveal the thought that’s been put into the car’s design.
A model like this has to be a jack-of-all-trades, serving as a mobile office, a motorway express and even able to turn on the fun on your favourite back road. Happily, the Superb has all these bases covered.
Underpinning it is the same versatile MQB architecture that’s used on many models from the VW Group. As a result, the Skoda feels remarkably agile and alert for a car of this size. Refinement is top notch, too, while the Superb’s ride is composed and comfortable.
Adding to the car’s appeal is a wide range of petrol and diesel engines that effortlessly balances performance and economy. Buyers also have the option of a DSG automatic transmission, plus a choice of front and four-wheel-drive set-ups depending on their needs.
There’s loads of standard kit, with all models getting DAB radio, Bluetooth and the CareConnect emergency call function. But we think fleet-focused SE Tech trim delivers the best value, with its adaptive cruise control, sat-nav and full smartphone connectivity all fitted as standard.
On the basis of this year’s showing, it’s going to take something very special indeed to stop the Skoda Superb making it four victories in a row this time next year.
Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI SE Technology (£23,520)
Given the Skoda Superb’s mile-munching brief, the punchy and frugal 2.0-litre TDI diesel is a perfect match, while SE Technology trim comes with all the kit you’ll ever need. Highlights include the latest infotainment system, with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, sat-nav and adaptive cruise control.
The hi-tech hybrid Prius came of age when the current fourth-generation model made its debut last year. Like its predecessors, it boasted impressive eco-friendly credentials, but for the first time it bundled a respectable level of driving fun into the mix. It’s also more comfortable and refined than before, while the futuristic interior has space for all the family.
Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport
All-new underpinnings and a name change have helped transform the big Vauxhall’s fortunes. Closer in size to executive saloons, the newcomer offers plenty of space, while the improvement in quality and kit gives the Insignia a real premium feel. The car is comfortable and good to drive, too, plus buyers will find the prices attractively low.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 16Convertible of the Year 2017The Mercedes C-Class Cabriolet is the 2017 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and MINI Convertible commended
- 17Coupe of the Year 2017The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 18Roadster of the Year 2017The Mazda MX-5 RF is the 2017 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Fiat 124 Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Performance Car of the Year 2017The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2017 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 720S commended
- 20Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017The Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
- 21Executive Car of the Year 2017The BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
- 22Luxury Car of the Year 2017The Mercedes S-Class is the 2017 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Van of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Crafter is the 2017 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit and Peugeot Expert commended
- 24Electric car of the Year 2017The BMW i3 is the 2017 Auto Express Electric Car of the Year, with the Renault ZOE and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Technology Award 2017BMW wins the Auto Express 2017 Technology Award with its range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and semi-autonomous systems
- 26Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
- 27Social Media Campaign of the Year 2017BMW's 'Genius - Live' has won the 2017 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 28Design Award 2017We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
- 29Driver Power Award 2017Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year