City Car of the Year 2017: Volkswagen up!
The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
A facelifted version of the Volkswagen up! hit the market towards the end of 2016, and although the company didn’t alter its successful formula drastically, there was an important addition to the refreshed range that’s helped the up! climb to the top spot in the city car sector for 2017.
VW introduced an 89bhp 1.0-litre turbocharged engine to the line-up, offering buyers even more performance without having to make sacrifices when it comes to efficiency. The up! is competitively priced compared with sportier city car rivals, too, but if it’s affordability and low running costs you’re after, the naturally aspirated 1.0-litre models still offer just that.
There are 59bhp and 74bhp versions available for even less cash, yet build quality is still first rate for the sector. CO2 emissions as low as 96g/km and claimed fuel economy of 68.9mpg mean the up! delivers motoring on a shoestring.
It’s fun to drive and surprisingly mature for a small car, too. The suspension smooths out all but the worst roads with remarkable composure, plus the compact chassis serves up good body control and a surprising level of grip, making the lightweight up! genuinely enjoyable to drive. Sharp steering and a slick manual gearchange only enhance the experience.
There’s also an automatic option on the lower-powered models to make driving easier in town, but we’d save some money and stick with the manual transmission; spend the extra on the five-door body, which adds even more practicality, helping the up! rival some superminis from the class above.
The car’s packaging is a masterpiece, with more than enough space inside for four adults as well as a decent 251-litre boot.
It excels around town and is easy to thread through tight city streets and park in small spaces thanks to its compact dimensions. But with features such as cruise control and heated seats available, allied to the impressive refinement, the car isn’t in the least bit taxing on longer journeys.
A revised infotainment system that uses a dedicated smartphone app is a clever solution that delivers a big-car feel, while affordable finance deals – even for the new 1.0 TSI – make the up! the most convincing option in the city car class.
Volkswagen High up! 1.0 75 5dr (£12,135)
We’ve gone for the higher-powered 74bhp engine in top-spec High up! trim. This model delivers style and substance, with attractive features available such as climate and cruise control, and autonomous braking. You can also add sophistication, safety and space to that list, while even in five-door form in this trim the up! remains affordable.
The all-new Picanto proves Kia is on top of its game, delivering a city car that offers almost as much practicality and maturity as the VW. It’s not as upmarket or as fun to drive, but the design is much improved, the interior spacious and the infotainment on higher-spec cars gives buyers what they want in this class.
There’s a new Citigo due in showrooms soon, but the outgoing model is still a brilliant city car that deserves praise. Using the same platform as the up!, it offers similar practicality and driving fun, although there’s no turbo option in the engine bay and the interior and infotainment system aren’t as slick.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 16Convertible of the Year 2017The Mercedes C-Class Cabriolet is the 2017 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and MINI Convertible commended
- 17Coupe of the Year 2017The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 18Roadster of the Year 2017The Mazda MX-5 RF is the 2017 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Fiat 124 Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Performance Car of the Year 2017The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2017 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 720S commended
- 20Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017The Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
- 21Executive Car of the Year 2017The BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
- 22Luxury Car of the Year 2017The Mercedes S-Class is the 2017 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Van of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Crafter is the 2017 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit and Peugeot Expert commended
- 24Electric car of the Year 2017The BMW i3 is the 2017 Auto Express Electric Car of the Year, with the Renault ZOE and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Technology Award 2017BMW wins the Auto Express 2017 Technology Award with its range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and semi-autonomous systems
- 26Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
- 27Social Media Campaign of the Year 2017BMW's 'Genius - Live' has won the 2017 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 28Design Award 2017We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
- 29Driver Power Award 2017Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year