Jaguar XE - best rear-wheel-drive cars
Compact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
In the compact executive saloon class, it's easy to plump for the BMW 3 Series if you want entertaining rear-drive handling. But the Jaguar XE manages to match the BMW in almost every area, while delivering marginally better running costs, an all-important factor for company car users.
Aluminium construction contributes to its light weight that boosts the car's handling, while all models with rear-wheel drive are entertaining on a twisty road. But they're also comfortable when you're taking it easy, while the Ingenium petrol and diesel engines deliver a great mix of performance and economy.
At the moment the V6S is the fastest model, although the limited run and rather insane SV Project 8 gives some clues to how a super-sports flagship could top the range. However, the Project 8 is four-wheel drive, and that layout could well find its way on to any potential XE flagship.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XE - currently readingCompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive