Lexus LS - best luxury cars
The big hybrid Lexus LS might not quite have the class of rivals but it’s utterly relaxing to drive
Few premium brands can boast as much hi-tech hybrid heritage as Lexus. The company launched its first petrol-electric model in 2005, and the flagship LS was the first limousine to get this innovative powerplant. A new model has kept the vast four-door looking fresh, while range-topping Premier AWD models come loaded with standard equipment.
The luxuriously refined Lexus LS is available with only one powertrain, a 354bhp 3.5-litre V6 petrol-electric hybrid. Coupled to this is a 10-speed CVT transmission, which if you have a loose understanding of how a CVT ‘box works may sound a little odd, but nonetheless Lexus has combined a traditional automatic gearbox and CVT in the LS.
Compared to the Mercedes S-Class the LS is a step behind in terms of cabin quality, with plastics still being part of the user interface inside the cabin, unlike the Merc. However, one of the best things about the new LS is that it has broken away from imitating the German opposition and is carving out its own appeal with a very different approach to what a luxury limousine cabin should be like.
Motorway cruising is excellent, as the interior is whisper quiet, and the air-suspension absorbs every bump in the road. In town, again the Lexus is extremely quiet, although more bumps can be felt in the cabin.
The interior is hugely comfortable, though, with lots of room for two in the back in the electric massage seats, plus a rear entertainment system to keep passengers occupied.
Top 10 best luxury cars
- 1IntroductionRelax in total comfort with our top 10 best luxury cars to buy list - providing your wallet can afford those premium prices
- 21. Mercedes S-ClassMercedes’ technology-crammed flagship is one of the most advanced motorcars you can buy and luxury comes as standard
- 32. Bentley Continental GTThe definition of a 'grand tourer', the Continental GT is the very best that Bentley has to offer
- 43. Range RoverThe mighty Range Rover was designed as an off-roader but it’s evolved into a luxury SUV of rare quality
- 54. Rolls-Royce PhantomThe definition of a 'grand tourer', the Continental GT is the very best that Bentley has to offer
- 65. Porsche PanameraIs it a luxury car? The Porsche Panamera is certainly luxurious but it has the soul of the sports car
- 76. BMW 7 SeriesBMW’s 7 Series is the driver’s choice in the luxury saloon segment
- 87. Audi A8The powerful and economical Audi A8 is a discreet alternative to the Mercedes S-Class
- 98. Bentley BentaygaThe Bentley Bentayga comes with mighty performance and a glamorous image, ideal for drivers looking for a luxury SUV
- 109. Jaguar I-PaceThe Jaguar I-Pace is packed with clever technology and an luxurious interior which makes it quite possibly the best electric car on sale
- 1110. Lexus LS - currently readingThe big hybrid Lexus LS might not quite have the class of rivals but it’s utterly relaxing to drive