Mazda MX-5 - best rear-wheel-drive cars
It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
It's been on sale for almost 30 years, and the Mazda MX-5 has stuck with a traditional front-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout to deliver pure driving thrills that few cars can match for the price. The Mk4 benefitted from Mazda's current Skyactiv philosophy of adding lightness to boost efficiency and in turn driving fun, although it's not like the last MX-5 was a big bloater in the first place.
With a low-slung driving position, high-set gearlever and direct steering, the MX-5 puts you at the heart of the action, and it's great fun to make the most of its handling balance on twisty roads, where it delivers fun in small doses.
The Mk4 is smaller than before, but it's still a pretty practical two-seater that you can use on a daily basis, while the folding hard top-equipped MX-5 RF adds some coupe-like refinement to the mix. We still like the fully-open roof of the soft top, though, and if you go for the smaller 1.5-litre petrol engine over the 2.0-litre, you'll still get a fun handling sports car but for a lower price. The MX-5 really is all the sports car you'll ever need.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5 - currently readingIt's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive