Porsche Cayman GTS - Best track day cars
Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
Sublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day. With 15bhp more than a Cayman S, it’s more than quick enough.
The Porsche Cayman GTS is a new range-topping model, offering more power, styling updates and also a stiffer body. We’ve had a chance to drive it in the UK for the first time, so is this now our favourite sports coupe?
First, a few notes: the Cayman GTS costs just over £8,000 more than the Cayman S, which gets you a PASM adaptive dampers, limited slip differential and the Sports Chrono pack. Add in a 15bhp power boost and our car’s six-speed manual box, and this feels like the perfect Cayman set-up.
We thought the S was as good as sports cars get, yet this model feels better still. The short-throw gearbox is so accurate that it just seems to fall into gear as soon as you push the clutch. Meanwhile, the steering is so nicely weighted and responsive that you feel comfortable with this car’s limits as soon as you jump in.
Best track day cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWhether you're looking to shave tenths off your lap time, or simply want to have some fun, these are the UK's best track cars
- 21. Porsche 911 GT3 RSThere is no denying that our favourite track day car is one for the more wealthy track day drivers, but the stunningly engineered Porsche 911 GT3 RS is worth every penny.
- 32. Caterham SevenThe Caterham Seven allows you to enjoy the simple pleasures of driving.
- 43. Ferrari 488 PistaFerrari makes the 488 more exciting by removing weight and adding power
- 54. McLaren SennaIf you name a car after one of the greatest racing drivers that ever lived, it had better be good. And the Senna is
- 65. Lamborghini Huracan PerformanteAt nearly twice the price of the Porsche 911 GT3 you would expect the Huracan Performante to offer an incredible driving experience, and on many levels it does.
- 76. McLaren 570S Track PackThe McLaren 570S Track Pack gets a range of add-ons designed to deliver the ultimate performance on track.
- 87. Porsche Cayman GTS - currently readingSublime handling balance, communicative controls and a stunning engine, the Cayman GTS is a car you’ll want to lap around a track all day.
- 98. Honda Civic Type RAs many petrolheads are aware, Honda has a history of making VTEC performance engines that deliver their best hit of power at the top end of the rev range.
- 109. Hyundai i30 NIt was not that long ago that Hyundai was knocking out dreary model after dreary model reserved for people who’s idea of excitement is a homemade Weetabix smoothie
- 1110. Ariel AtomPowered by a mid-mounted Honda Civic engine, the Atom feels like a big go-kart due to its exposed skeletal chassis.