Skoda Octavia vRS
Price: £23,260Engine: 2.0-litre 4cyl turbodieselPower: 181bhpTorque: 380Nm0-62mph: 8.1 secondsTop speed: 144mph
You can get a petrol-powered Octavia vRS – using the same engine as the Golf GTI – but we like the diesel model. With the 181bhp 2.0 TDI engine from the Golf GTD under the bonnet, it’s got plenty of mid-range torque. Firmer suspension and some subtle styling updates ensure the vRS looks and handles like a performance car, too. That hugely practical cabin makes it a genuinely usable family vehicle, too.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS - currently reading
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet