Best fast family cars 2021
Having a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
If circumstances dictate that you need to have a family car, that can spell havoc for your dreams of owning something speedier. Suddenly, power and handling don't matter as much as practicality, safety, and economy. Thoughts of blasts down twisty B-roads are replaced by thoughts of child seats and sippy cups, and so for lots of people, it means hanging up the keys to that sports car and shelling out for a boring family bus.
But some drivers refuse to accept that, and luckily for them, there's a wide range of family cars that manage to fuse commodious cabins with exciting handling and thrilling acceleration.
Our choice of the 10 best brings together cars from all sectors of the market. At the lower end of the price bracket, you'll find hot hatches like the brilliant Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf R, both of which offer up four-wheel drive security, practical five-door bodies and powerful engines which can carve up the average British B-road as quickly as anything out there.
Step up into the realm of the super-saloon and your choices broaden into cars like the BMW M3 and Mercedes-AMG C63, which provide luxurious accommodation for business and pleasure alike. For drivers who like the added security and less challenging performance, we’ve got four-wheel-drivers like the Audi RS6 Avant and the Porsche Macan Turbo. We’ve even picked the electric Tesla Model S P90D for drivers who like to present a more eco-friendly image, and the Alpina D3 for drivers who must have a diesel.
So if you don't want family car compromises to spoil your fun, have a look through our top 10 and see if there’s a fast family car that’s right for you.
Click on the links below to read more about each of our choices, or take a look at the fastest accelerating cars in the world.
Best fast family cars 2020
- 1Introduction - currently readingHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet