Toyota GT 86 - best rear-wheel-drive cars
Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
The Toyota GT86 - and its sister model, the Subaru BRZ - reinvented the compact sports coupe class when it arrived in 2012. With its modest 200bhp boxer four-cylinder engine, skinny Toyota Prius-sourced tyres and rear-wheel-drive chassis, it was designed to deliver handling thrills at a more manageable pace than faster and grippier rivals.
The name is a mix of the GT from the classic 2000GT sports car, and the 86 from the Corolla FT86 coupe of the 1980s, and it shared its styling and rear-drive handling philosophy with these two cars. Light weight means the modest power output of the 2.0-litre engine copes easily, although you need to give the car some serious revs to get going. The six-speed manual gearbox has a rifle-bolt action as each cog slots in, and the thrum from the engine encourages you to push it harder.
Add in a 2+2 seating layout (the rears are only really big enough for kids) and it's a pretty practical coupe, too. And if you're a track day enthusiast, then Toyota designed the car to be able to fit a set of four extra wheels and tyres in the back to swap onto for circuit fun.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86 - currently readingToyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive