Best used superminis
The SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used supermini: SEAT Ibiza
- Our pick: SEAT Ibiza 1.0 TSI 95 SE (2017/67, £7,995, 35k miles)
Just a couple of years ago, the SEAT Ibiza topped the supermini sector in our New Car Awards. Now you can pick up a current-shape car for as little as £7,995, making it our favourite used supermini in 2020.
You don’t have to scrimp when it comes to kit or engine choice either, because the SE model we found comes with a colour touchscreen infotainment system with the latest phone connectivity for navigation.
This 1.0 TSI 95 model boasts a broad spread of power and torque, so performance is brilliant too; this is still the engine of choice in a brand-new Ibiza, so it makes sense to go for this car at such incredible value.
The big factor that elevated the Ibiza to the top of its class was the space on offer inside. It’s roomy in the rear to the point where this fifth-generation Ibiza can occasionally operate as a family car. The 355-litre boot means there’s almost as much luggage space here as you’ll find in a current-shape Vauxhall Astra.
Quality is sound, and although the cabin is a little plasticky, the materials used are hard-wearing. So even three years and 35,000 miles after it was first registered, this Ibiza should be in good condition. With mileage under the average for this age of vehicle as well, there’s plenty of life in this car.
Our road tests when the car was brand new saw the 1.0 TSI 95 engine return around 50mpg, so the Ibiza should be frugal to run. Yet the latest MQB A0 underpinnings mean that the Ibiza’s chassis is fun and agile, like any good supermini should be.
The steering is direct, and while the ride is a little firm, SE comes with a comfort-focused suspension set-up, and refinement on the move – especially on the motorway – doesn’t give away the SEAT as a small car.
PCP finance on a brand-new Ibiza is reasonably good value, but going for a three-year old model could still slash 40 per cent off your monthly payments. This means that you could finance a three-year old model for just £155 per month with a deposit of £850. That’s not bad for a car that’s barely any different to the ones available in showrooms today. Run the Ibiza for three years, and the total finance cost comes in at £6,430.
Until recently, the Fiesta ruled this category, but now that current Ibizas have dropped to appealing values, the Ford is relegated. Yet with the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine and a superb chassis, it’s still a great buy. It’s not as practical or modern as the Ibiza, but not many used superminis are so affordable.
Toyota Yaris Hybrid
The car market is undoubtedly moving towards electrification, but if you want a hybrid, you don’t have to buy new – the Yaris Hybrid combines petrol power with an electric boost for seriously impressive efficiency if you spend most of your time driving around town. Reliability is excellent, too
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminis - currently readingThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020