Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- Price: £56,175
- Engine: 3.0-litre six-cylinder turbo
- Power: 425bhp
- Torque: 550Nm
- 0-62mph: 4.1 seconds
- Top speed: 155mph
Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3. Each and every model has managed to gain iconic status among car enthusiasts, so this brand new model had quite a lot to prove.
A new turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six engine is in to replace the old car’s naturally aspirated V8, and thankfully it’s just as good - it delivers the sort of searing performance you’d expect.
There’s a slightly different character here, with massive reserves of mid-range torque rather than top-end power, but it remains a seriously impressive performance car. One minor criticism is the synthesized engine noise played in to the cabin. Yet while it doesn’t sound entirely natural, its booming roar gets your attention.
What really sets this M3 apart is just how comfortable it is. With the suspension in its softest setting, this car doesn’t feel too much stiffer than a run-of-the-mill 3 Series. But when you find a nice set of corners, the M3 comes alive; everything feels immediately responsive and there’s plenty of grip from the front end. In the best ‘M’ tradition, there’s plenty of scope for big, tyre-smoking drifts, too.And if the four-door saloon body isn’t for you, then there’s also a sleek M4 coupe model on sale, too.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3 - currently readingNot many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet