Kia Sportage review - MPG, CO2 and running costs
The Sportage offers average running costs, but is predicted to hold its value well
The Sportage offers good value for money in the class thanks to strong equipment levels. Its seven-year, 100,000-mile warranty may no longer be industry-leading, but it's still more generous than most brands. Kia dealers offer fixed-price servicing packs for three and five years allowing owners to manage their budgets.
For prospective owners aiming to keep costs down, the front-wheel drive models are the better bets – and in particular the models fitted with the 1.6-litre diesel mild hybrid engine. Steer clear of the all-wheel drive models as their economy is naturally worse and their CO2 emissions higher. Equally, those higher-spec models with bigger wheels will not return the best economy figures.
The most efficient Sportage model is the 1.6 CRDi diesel combined with the 2 trim level, which brings smaller 17-inch wheels. Kia claims a combined economy figure of 52.3mpg with emissions at 141g/km. As an example of how wheel size can affect efficiency, the same engine paired with the 3 trim's 19-inch alloys delivers 47.9mpg and a CO2 figure of 153g/km.
For those Sportage customers wanting to cover the most miles under petrol power, the 130bhp 1.6 GDi (again in entry level 2 trim) will be the answer. It returns 36.2mpg on the combined cycle, with CO2 emissions of 177g/km. The 174bhp petrol version in 3 trim delivers the worst economy in the range - with a maximum 32.1mpg and 201g/km of CO2.
Our experts predict that the Sportage will retain an average of around 47% of its value after three years and 36,000 miles come trade-in time. This compares favourably to more expensive rivals like the Peugeot 3008, which is expected to hold on to 39 to 45 per cent over the same period.
In this review
- 1Kia Sportage reviewThe well-equipped and stylish Kia Sportage is a solid all-rounder.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThanks to sharp steering, the Sportage drives well and hides its high stance with good composure in the bends
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingThe Sportage offers average running costs, but is predicted to hold its value well
- 4Interior, design and technologyBold exterior styling is complimented by a spacious, well-made cabin with one of the best infotainment setups in the segment
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceA spacious interior and decent boot make the Sportage a good choice for families
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe Sportage offers good safety kit, while the seven-year warranty is generous