Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5
Good-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
The Mazda MX-5 has been our favourite small roadster for a long time, and the latest generation is the best yet. Bucking the trend for cars to get bigger and bigger, the MX-5 is positively tiny, meaning it only needs a small engine and simple suspension to provide plenty of pace and a great drive.
A choice of 1.5-litre or 2.0-litre petrol engines are plenty to propel the featherweight body at a decent speed, while the rear-wheel-drive chassis is becoming rarer in the class - making the MX-5 great fun to drive.
The lightweight MX-5 posted a fantastic 93% score in the Pedestrian category, so it's just as safe for other road users as it is for the occupants. Not that the occupants should be worried, as the cosy interior includes enough safety kit to give scores of 84% and 80% in the Adult and Child Occupant categories, respectively.
It may be a tiny convertible car with a small power output, but the Mazda MX-5 is big on character and a great safety rating is another reason it should be on your shortlist.
Safest roadster/convertible - previous winners
- • 2010-2014: No previous winners
Read the full Mazda MX-5 review here...
- 1IntroductionWe look at the cars Euro NCAP has named as the safest cars on sale
- 2Safest small family car: Mercedes A-ClassAs well as a stylish look, the latest A-Class is packed with cutting-edge safety tech
- 3Safest large family car: Lexus ESExecutive hybrid earned some of the highest percentage scores of any Euro NCAP test
- 4Safest large SUV: Hyundai NexoNew SUV earns five stars in first-ever Euro NCAP test for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle
- 5Safest hybrid & electric car: Lexus ESA second award for the new Lexus executive saloon, this time in the 2018 safest hybrid and electric category
- 6Safest supermini: Volkswagen PoloEuro NCAP has proven that the Volkswagen Polo isn't just spacious and practical, it's safe, too
- 7Safest small MPV: Opel/Vauxhall Crossland XThe Crossland X came as a much needed replacement for the old Meriva, offering styling in line with modern trends and great safety ratings
- 8Safest large MPV: Ford GalaxySafety is important to family buyers, and those after a large seven-seat MPV would be very safe in the Ford Galaxy
- 9Safest roadster/convertible: Mazda MX-5 - currently readingGood-looking, great to drive and cheap - and now the MX-5 is rated Euro NCAP's safest convertible of 2015
- 10Safest small SUV: Volkswagen T-RocThe T-Roc’s fantastic five-star safety rating makes it an attractive proposition to family buyers
- 11Safest executive car: Volkswagen ArteonPremium quality mixed with excellent safety and low running costs. What’s not to like about the VW Arteon?