Aston Martin Vantage - best performance cars
The Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
If you love performance cars, you'll understand how special the Aston Martin brand has become, and how capable the manufacturer is of producing awesome driving machines. The Vantage is a superb case in point - underneath its mean, muscular-looking exterior lurks a Mercedes-AMG-sourced 4.0-litre V8 engine, producing 503bhp and a whopping 685Nm of torque.
Not surprisingly, the Vantage is able to crack 0-62mph in a rapid 3.6 seconds through an eight-speed ZF auto transmission, before running onto a top speed of 195mph.
Although lined-up to compete with the Porsche 911, the Vantage offers a sense of occasion that the German car can't match. Sure, the build quality and practicality might be a little better in the 911, but the British car's ability to entertain is second to none.
There's Sport, Sport+ and Track modes to explore, with the bespoke Pirelli P Zero rubber providing massive amounts of grip, and the brakes doing a great job of hauling the car back from high speeds.
Whichever way you want to drive the Vantage, it remains a seriously capable car. And fun, too - just as it should be.
Top 10 best performance cars 2020
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability, the Porsche 911 is a tour-de-force in the performance car market
- 32. McLaren 570SAll the driving thrills you'd expect - the McLaren 570S is an amazingly capable supercar.
- 43. Aston Martin Vantage - currently readingThe Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
- 54. Ferrari F8 TributoThe F8 Tributo's huge technical ability makes performance on the limit easier to reach and control.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Alpine A110The lightweight Alpine A110 delivers a pure driving experience to go along with its quirky retro looks.
- 87. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven.
- 98. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches