McLaren 570S - best rear-wheel-drive cars
McLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
It's easy to forget that McLaren has only been building road cars in its current guise since 2011. The range has expanded and developed to include all kinds of sports, super and hypercars, and while the 570S is at the lower end of the range, it's arguably just as entertaining as its more expensive counterparts.
What sets the 570S apart from its rivals is its genuine everyday usability. It's a bit tricky to get in and out of, but once you're behind the wheel, there's good visibility all round, direct and communicative steering, a docile power delivery if you want it like that, and supreme comfort from suspension that has clearly been designed for the UK's poor road surfaces.
But turn the 570S's drive and engine controls to their most focused settings, and it transforms into a hugely entertaining and involving rear-wheel-drive machine. It's easy to extract the car's full performance, and the V8 twin-turbo engine delivers huge slabs of power. The chassis more than copes with it, though, and the McLaren will easily run rings around its rivals, even in open-top Spider guise.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570S - currently readingMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition PackA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive