McLaren 720S - world's fastest road cars
Constant evolution has resulted in the 720S, the most accessible supercar in our top 10
Top speed: 212mphPrice: £210,415
While the McLaren F1 set a new benchmark for maximum speeds that took over a decade to beat, that car has now gained such a reputation that you won't find one for any less than £10million today. Still, you can have that same motorsport heritage in a brand-new McLaren 720S for less than a quarter of a million quid.
With a 212mph top speed, the 720S is only 5mph slower than the P1 hypercar, and it doesn't use hybrid tech to achieve this, just a more powerful version of McLaren's twin-turbo V8 pushed out to 4.0-litres and making a healthy 710bhp.
Add in lightweight carbon fibre construction and adaptive suspension, and the 720S is one of the best-handling sports cars on sale, while changing settings turns it into a docile grand tourer if you need it to be. It really is the supercar that can do anything.
Top 10 fastest road cars 2019
- 1IntroductionJoin the 200mph+ club, as we round up the fastest road cars on sale in 2019
- 21. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish supercar maker builds unique one-off models, and the Agera RS is officially the fastest of all
- 32. Hennessey Venom GTThe unholy alliance of a Lotus Exige and Corvette V8 creates one of the fastest cars in the world
- 43. Bugatti ChironIt's been improved over the Veyron in every area, although the Chiron's top speed has yet to be verified
- 54. W Motors Fenyr SupersportAnother obscure car maker, most famous for appearing in the Fast & Furious films
- 65. Pagani HuayraThe Huayra is like a precision timepiece with lots of hand-crafted details inside
- 76. Zenvo TS1 GTDanish supercar maker has hit the ground running with its bespoke hypercars
- 87. Noble M600British supercar maker goes back to basics to deliver phenomenal speed
- 98. Lamborghini Aventador SThe Aventador is the closest thing you'll get to a mass production car in this list
- 109. Ford GTSecond generation GT is designed with racing in mind, so a mega top speed comes naturally
- 1110. McLaren 720S - currently readingConstant evolution has resulted in the 720S, the most accessible supercar in our top 10