Toyota Yaris - best superminis
The stylish Toyota Yaris is a strong supermini contender - with good looks, frugal hybrid engines and generous levels of standard equipment.
Engines: Hybrid Petrol 1.5 VVT-i
Trims: Icon, Design Dynamic, Excel, Launch Edition
0-62mph: 9.7 seconds
The Toyota Yaris is arguably the manufacturer’s most focused supermini yet. In an ultra-competitive supermini market, the five-door Yaris is keeping things simple. The sole 1.5-litre petrol hybrid engine delivers 114bhp and provides more than enough power to make it a capable performer around town.
Toyota claims the hybrid model’s bigger battery will help it function in pure electric mode for around 80% of the time while on regular urban journeys, and it can be driven at up to 80mph before the petrol engine chips-in.
As well as offering good fuel economy and plenty of standard kit, Toyota has bestowed the Yaris with a strong, distinctive look. The muscular wheel arches, large grille and sharp creases all contribute to a more purposeful stance than on the previous model, and an appearance which translates well to the beefed-up GR Yaris performance model.
The Yaris is a great performer around town, and certainly won’t be caught out on motorway stretches, while customers can be reassured by excellent levels of safety equipment.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 2Renault ClioThe fifth-generation Renault Clio is the best yet: refined, spacious and good value.
- 3Ford FiestaIf it’s driving involvement you’re after, the Ford Fiesta is the model to go for
- 4Toyota Yaris - currently readingThe stylish Toyota Yaris is a strong supermini contender - with good looks, frugal hybrid engines and generous levels of standard equipment.
- 5Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa looks better than it ever has, while the comfortable interior includes good-quality trim and up-to-date tech.
- 6Peugeot 208Peugeot faces high expectations for the new 208 supermini, and on many levels it succeeds.
- 7MINI 5-doorThe MINI is an upmarket and fashionable hatchback, combining attractive retro styling with a great driving experience.
- 8Skoda FabiaComfortable, practical and with a strong range of engines, the Skoda Fabia is hard to fault.
- 9Volkswagen PoloThe sixth-generation Volkswagen Polo is more like a shrunken Golf than ever before.
- 10Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2