Mini 5-Door - best superminis
The MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
Prices: £16,895-£25,560Engines: 1.5 (101, 134bhp), 2.0-litre petrolTrims: One, Cooper, Cooper S/Classic, Sport, ExclusiveEconomy: 38.2-47.1mpgCO2: 119-150g/km0-62mph: 6.9-10.6 seconds
While purists won’t love the idea of a five-door MINI, its place in the range means that supermini buyers can happily choose one of the most stylish cars on sale without completely disregarding practicality.
The MINI Cooper 5-Door is our choice; powered by a 1.5-litre three-cylinder with 134bhp, it serves up plenty of performance.
It’s great fun to drive, too, thanks to a low driving position, predictable handling, buckets of grip, communicative steering and almost no body roll. The trade-off is a ride that isn’t quite as plush as in some rivals, although the damping is still acceptable. The MINI 5-Door isn’t quite as practical as the Ford Fiesta and SEAT Ibiza, but passenger space is generous (especially in the front); while the boot is a bit small, at 278 litres, it’s well shaped and pretty deep.
MINI’s infotainment system is among the best in this class, sharing much with parent company BMW’s excellent set-ups. It’s logical to use and adds to the premium feel in the baby Brit’s stylish interior.
As you’d expect, there’s plenty of scope for personalisation; the MINI is still the best choice here if you want your small car to stand out from the crowd.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford FiestaThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT IbizaThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-door - currently readingThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen PoloIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia SanderoThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota YarisThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain