SEAT Leon Cupra 290
Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
Price: £29,730 (DSG)Engine: 2.0-litre 4cyl turboPower: 286bhpTorque: 350Nm0-62mph: 5.7 secondsTop speeed: 155mph
Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback. It uses pretty much the same mechanicals as the VW, plus there’s a load of standard equipment and some really eye-catching styling, including LED headlights and stylish alloy wheels.
But it’s the way the Leon Cupra performs that truly impresses. It comes with an electronically controlled limited-slip diff that all but eliminates understeer in corners, and that means the SEAT delivers the grip and cornering poise of a rear or four-wheel-drive machine. And if you switch the car’s electronics to the Cupra driving mode, the Leon is lively and entertaining, too. Go for the seven-speed DSG gearbox, and you have seamless control of the car’s power via the steering wheel-mounted paddles, while this version also comes with an effective launch control system, too.
All of this driving talent doesn’t come at the expense of comfort, either, as the Leon is far easier to live with on a daily basis than some of its rivals. Add in some sporty Cupra touches including sports seats and subtle chequered flag logos dotted around the cabin, and it’s clear why the Leon Cupra is one of our favourite hot hatches.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290 - currently readingCosting about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet