Ferrari 488 Pista - best performance cars
The combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
Many cars are described as ‘race cars for the road’, but Pista benefits from genuine parts taken from Ferrari’s 488 Challenge and GTE race cars to make it a truly special supercar.
The 3.9-litre twin-turbo V8 engine in the Pista produces 710bhp - 50bhp more than the 488 GTB on which it’s based. This leap in power comes from engine enhancements including lightweight titanium connecting rods for the pistons, carbon-fibre intakes and updated twin-scroll turbochargers.
The body has also had a major update as the Pista sheds 90kg from the already lightweight 488. More extensive use of carbon fibre and a lighter exhaust have aided the weight-loss. The Pista will reach an impressive 211mph top speed and can do a 0-62mph time of 2.85 seconds, generally faster than most of us could think.
You may think the Pista would be a handful on the limit but it’s wonderfully poised and balanced. If you’re too heavy-handed or heavy-footed with your inputs it can bite back (as a Ferrari should), but Ferrari’s ‘Dynamic Enhancer’ traction control allows you to have fun without the fear of it suddenly all going wrong.
Top 10 best performance cars 2019
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability this new Porsche 911 is a tour de force in the performance car market
- 32. Aston Martin DBS SuperleggeraAston Martin’s flagship amplifies everything that makes the DB11 special
- 43. Mclaren 600LT If you were one of the very few who thought the McLaren 570S wasn’t hardcore enough, meet the McLaren 600LT.
- 54. Ferrari 488 Pista - currently readingThe combination of road-car and race car in the Pista make for a fabulous, yet focused supercar.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven
- 87. BMW M5 CompetitionThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 98. McLaren 720SMcLaren 720S supercar builds on the reputation of its 650 and 675 predecessors
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches