Best for performance
To win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
How fast is it? Despite ever stricter speed limits and greater enforcement this is the question asked most often of any road tester at the wheel of a new model.
The 0-60mph sprint has long been the benchmark measure of the quickest possible time to get from a standstill to the A-Road national speed limit.
So why don’t we rank models by their official 0-60mph times in the performance chart? Because in the real world this doesn’t tell the whole story.
For example, driven to the limit automatic transmissions are slower against the clock than a hard driven manual, but in everyday conditions a modern self-shifter will be quickest off the line. And then there’s overtaking pace – speeding up from 50-70mph is often where acceleration is most important.
Another victory for Jaguar’s XF shows that its performance is not only ample, but its automatic gearbox makes speeding up a swift and drama free experience. Second place goes to Audi’s TT, a model which uses turbocharged petrol and diesel engines to offer great pace no matter what the driving conditions.
The bottom eight models in the performance chart are all from the supermini/city car sector, with the ancient engine in Ford’s old shape Ka proving the weediest of the lot.
What you said: "Stunning performance, great styling, luxurious spec" - Jaguar XF Owner
"Brilliant little car - brings a smile to my face everytime l get in my TT and drive" - Audi TT Owner
- 1IntroductionBuckle up! It's time to reveal your views on the best new cars for build quality, reliability, performance, running costs and more...
- 2Best for performance - currently readingTo win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
- 3Best for reliabilityThe key to true owner satisfaction is dependability. Here we reveal Britain's most reliable cars.
- 4Best for comfortWe name Britain's most comfortable cars
- 5Best for handlingOur survey crowns Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
- 6Best for brakingWhich UK car is your top of the stops? Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
- 7Best for running costsOur guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
- 8Best for build qualityIs your car free of squeaks and rattles? We name those that are.
- 9Best for ease of drivingWant a car that offers fuss free transport? Don't miss our guide to the UK's easiest cars to drive.
- 10Best for practicalityWhich car offers the best versatility. We ‘throw it all in and go’ to find out.