Best for running costs
Our guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
Category: Running Costs
Counting the cost of running your car can be a depressing exercise. As well as the initial purchase outlay, there’s depreciation to think about, along with servicing, maintenance, tyres, road tax, insurance, and - perhaps most topical of all - fuel.
Getting the most miles out of every pound you spend on your car is important to any driver, particularly if you are trying to reduce your monthly motoring outgoings. If it’s more cost effective transport you’re after, consider swapping into a model at the top of this chart.
Fiat’s Panda has proved to be the least costly of the lot over the last 12 months. With low prices, decent second hand demand and fuel sipping engines the Italian city car can help you to spend less without too many compromises.
Fiat is celebrating a double victory, with its 500 city car arriving in second place in the penny-pinching category. Despite being more costly to buy than many of its rivals, Honda’s Jazz proves that you can’t fixate only on the list price by grabbing a coveted bronze medal.
At the bottom of the running costs rank is a model that doesn’t fit in with today’s low cost living mentality. By using a unique rotary engine, Mazda’s RX-8 provides a thrilling driving experience, but you will need deep pockets to enjoy its performance.
What you said: "Good space, reasonable equipment, impressive economy and £30 per year tax without too many small-car compromises. Love it!" - Fiat Panda 1.2 Driver
"Quality feel and great looks. A relatively cheap car that that can hold it's own in any company." - Fiat 500 Owner
- 1IntroductionBuckle up! It's time to reveal your views on the best new cars for build quality, reliability, performance, running costs and more...
- 2Best for performanceTo win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
- 3Best for reliabilityThe key to true owner satisfaction is dependability. Here we reveal Britain's most reliable cars.
- 4Best for comfortWe name Britain's most comfortable cars
- 5Best for handlingOur survey crowns Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
- 6Best for brakingWhich UK car is your top of the stops? Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
- 7Best for running costs - currently readingOur guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
- 8Best for build qualityIs your car free of squeaks and rattles? We name those that are.
- 9Best for ease of drivingWant a car that offers fuss free transport? Don't miss our guide to the UK's easiest cars to drive.
- 10Best for practicalityWhich car offers the best versatility. We ‘throw it all in and go’ to find out.
- 11Best for ride qualityWe count down the cars that glide over pot holes and speed bumps - and name the ones that don't.