Tesla Model S P90D
The Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet
Price: £92,500Engine: Twin electric motors/90kW batteriesPower: 751bhpTorque: 967bhp0-62mph: 2.8 secondsTop speed: 155mph
The Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet. It’s also blessed with a capacity for ballistic acceleration, with four-wheel-drive offering superb traction thanks to its front and rear twin electric motor powertrain. It may be an electric eco-warrior of sorts, but the P90D is also the fastest four-door on the planet. With optional Ludicrous Mode selected, Tesla claims it will shred tarmac on the way from 0-62mph in just 2.8 seconds. Although it’s a heavy car, the Model S corners with little body roll and an enormous amount of grip, so it’s not just about being fast in a straight line. The downside, of course, is that you have to plug it in and charge it up to go anywhere, which limits the car’s usability – especially if you like to make long journeys on the spur of the moment.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf RThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90D - currently readingThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet