Best used MPVs
The Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
Best used MPV: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso
Our pick: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 BlueHDi VTR+ (2015/65, 57k miles, £7,300)
If maximum space, practicality and economical motoring are your priorities, then you’ll find it difficult to look beyond the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso (later renamed the Grand C4 Spacetourer from 2018 onwards). The big Citroen has been a repeat winner in the MPV class of our New Car Awards, and on the used market it’s every bit the champion, too.
We’ve singled out the well specced VTR+ version of the Grand C4 Picasso, using the frugal, but not fast 1.6 BlueHDi diesel engine, developing 99bhp.
Performance isn’t crucial in this segment, though. Space for passengers trumps all, and the Grand C4 Picasso can seat seven adults in good comfort. All three seats in the second row can slide and fold independently, and middle-row legroom is superb.
The two rearmost seats are tighter and better suited to children on longer trips, but getting back there is easy thanks to the numerous ways the Citroen’s seats slide and stow. You’ll find plenty of storage spaces around the cabin, and even 12V sockets in the front and middle rows for charging gadgets.
At the back, the Citroen’s vast boot measures 793 litres with the middle row of seats pushed as far forward as possible. Fold all the seats down – which leaves you with a perfectly flat floor – and you get a van-rivalling 2,181 litre volume.
Allied to the comfortable and stylish interior is the Citroen’s ride quality. The suspension is soft and there’s plenty of body roll in bends, but elsewhere it rides smoothly, while the 1.6-litre diesel unit is a refined performer. The Grand C4 Picasso is a relaxing car to drive – and that’s important for family motoring.
£24 per seat, per month. That’s how little this Grand C4 Picasso could cost on a three-year PCP finance contract through BuyaCar.co.uk, with a nicely affordable deposit of just £900. Monthly payments of £167 aren’t much for such a large MPV, although if you want to own the car when the contract ends, you’ll need to pay a further £4,368 once you’ve made that last monthly payment.
As with the Citroen, the Alhambra is another MPV that maxes out on interior space and functionality, but it lacks the design flair of the Citroen. In return, however, are solid Volkswagen Group underpinnings and engines, with 2.0 TDI versions available for similar money to the relatively underpowered Citroen.
The B-MAX belongs to a smaller group of MPVs compared with the Citroen and the SEAT. What makes it stand out are its sliding rear doors and lack of B-pillars, which makes access to the cabin incredibly easy. Low-mileage 15 and 16-plate cars in mid-spec Zetec trim are available from £7,000
- 1IntroductionWe pick the best used cars to buy in 18 categories and name our overall Used Car of the Year for 2020
- 2Used Car of the Year 2020The SEAT Ibiza pulls all of its attributes together into a strong-performing package
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 4Best used superminisThe SEAT Ibiza is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Citroen C3 Aircross is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Renault Kadjar is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 12Best used executive carsThe Volvo S90 is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 14Best used MPVs - currently readingThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is the best used hot hatchback in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2020
- 20Best used electric carsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2020