Peugeot 208 - best superminis
Peugeot faces high expectations for the new 208 supermini, and on many levels it succeeds.
Engines: Petrol - 1.2-litre PureTech 75PS, 100PS and 130PS. Diesel - 1.5-litre BlueHDi 100PS. Electric - 50kWh 136PS
Trims: Active, Active Premium, Allure, Allure Premium, GT Line, GT
Economy: 44.3-73.6mpg (217-mile e-208 electric range)
The new Peugeot 208 is a great-looking supermini. It brings a sense of style and a real feelgood factor, helping it stand out from equally capable rivals.
The 208, along with the new Vauxhall Corsa, sits on PSA Group’s new CMP small car platform. The platform has been designed from the outset to offer different powertrain configurations, so that means the 208 can come with a petrol engine, a diesel engine or as a pure-electric vehicle. Options for the 208 run to a 1.2-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged petrol with either 75bhp, 99bhp, or 128bhp, a 1.5-litre diesel with 99bhp or a 134bhp full-electric version.
Although the car is only available in a five-door bodystyle, customers can choose from six trim-levels for the 208 range - Active, Active Premium, Allure, Allure Premium, GT Line and the stand-alone GT trim that is only offered with the e-208 electric model.
The e-208 costs around £6,500 more than the diesel models and is able to cover up to 217 miles on a single charge. It can be fully charged from a 7kWh home wall box in 7.5 hours, while a 100kWh public terminal can achieve 80% power in just 30 minutes. The electric motor sits under the bonnet, while the 50kWh battery pack lies under the rear seats. So, the interior remains the same as in other models, without any loss of valuable space.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 2Renault ClioThe fifth-generation Renault Clio is the best yet: refined, spacious and good value.
- 3Ford FiestaIf it’s driving involvement you’re after, the Ford Fiesta is the model to go for
- 4Toyota YarisThe stylish Toyota Yaris is a strong supermini contender - with good looks, frugal hybrid engines and generous levels of standard equipment.
- 5Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa looks better than it ever has, while the comfortable interior includes good-quality trim and up-to-date tech.
- 6Peugeot 208 - currently readingPeugeot faces high expectations for the new 208 supermini, and on many levels it succeeds.
- 7MINI 5-doorThe MINI is an upmarket and fashionable hatchback, combining attractive retro styling with a great driving experience.
- 8Skoda FabiaComfortable, practical and with a strong range of engines, the Skoda Fabia is hard to fault.
- 9Volkswagen PoloThe sixth-generation Volkswagen Polo is more like a shrunken Golf than ever before.
- 10Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2