Ford Mustang Mach-E - Reliability and safety
Customers will be reassured by the Mustang Mach-E’s superb levels of standard safety equipment
Industry safety body EuroNCAP awarded the Mustang Mach-E a top five-star rating in 2021. Standard safety kit is reassuringly extensive, with a host of active on-board features helping the Mach-E achieve a 92 per cent score for adult safety, 86 per cent for child protection and 82 per cent for safety assist technology.
All cars include systems such as a Forward Collision Warning, Dynamic Brake Support, Automated Emergency Braking, a Lane Keeping Aid and a Lane Departure Warning, a Distance Alert, Evasive Steer Assist and a blind spot warning (BLIS) with Cross Traffic Alert. Ford has also made its Intelligent Automated Cruise Control 2.0 system standard across the range. This function uses the forward-facing camera and navigation system to automatically adjust vehicle speed, not only recognising speed limit signs but also corners and roundabouts.
The Mustang Mach-E is too new to record a placing in our Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, while Ford finished a disappointing 25th out of 29 manufacturers in the best brands poll. With additions to the blue oval range in the shape of the all-new Puma, revised Kuga and now the Mach-E, along with the hugely popular Fiesta and capable Focus hatchbacks, Ford will be seeking signs of improvement next time around.
The Mustang Mach-E comes with Ford’s standard three-year/60,000-mile warranty, although there is an option for customers to extend this cover to either five years/100,000 miles or eight years/100,000 miles. The Mach-E’s battery is protected by a separate eight-year/100,000 mile warranty.
Ford advises customers to contact their approved dealer for information on servicing intervals for the Mustang Mach-E. The manufacturer does offer the Ford Protect Service Plan Plus which allows customers to spread the cost of scheduled maintenance. Taking out a service plan means you also benefit from extended roadside assistance (usually one year’s cover), ‘rescue charging’ and technical help, should you require it, for your home wallbox charger.
In this review
- 1VerdictBuyers looking for a stylish, all-electric family SUV that's good to drive, should definitely consider the Ford Mustang Mach-E
- 2Electric motor, drive and performance The Mustang Mach-E offers sharper steering and better body control than some rivals, while the GT model is blisteringly quick in a straight line
- 3Range, charging and running costsWith a practical range and fast-charging capability, the Mustang Mach-E is primed to fit seamlessly into family life
- 4Interior, design and technologyFord has created an all-electric family SUV with plenty of style, tech and impressive levels of standard kit
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Mustang Mach-E’s cabin delivers all the family space you could want, although the boot isn’t the biggest
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingCustomers will be reassured by the Mustang Mach-E’s superb levels of standard safety equipment