Renault Megane dCi 115 - Best diesels
The Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
The latest Renault Megane arrived in the UK in 2016, and instantly issued a challenge to the class leaders in the hard-fought compact hatchback sector.
The Megane is attractive to look at, with a quality of design that raises the game with crisp styling lines and a nose that makes quite a statement with its big Renault badge and LED lamps. The fresh original looks are carried over inside with a cabin that makes most cars in the sector look a bit unimaginative – the portrait-orientated touchscreen in the centre console being a particularly nice touch. All trim levels are respectively well equipped too, and a comprehensive list of safety tech means the Megane has the full five-star NCAP safety rating after independent crash testing.
It’s great to drive, with decent handling (if not with as much driver engagement as the SEAT Leon) and refinement. But what really makes the Megane interesting from a diesel owner’s point of view is the dCi 115 model that returns a mighty 74.3mpg. The 1.5-litre four-cylinder turbo engine makes 114bhp and 260Nm of torque, and will do 0-62mph in 11.3 seconds with a top speed of 116mph. For the economy conscious hatchback driver, those numbers are hard to beat.
Best diesel cars to buy in 2019
- 1IntroductionCovering all the bases, here's our view on the best diesel cars to have on your shortlist if you're buying a car in 2020
- 2Renault Megane dCi 115 - currently readingThe Megane is a front-runner in the compact hatchback class, especially in diesel guise
- 3Vauxhall Insignia GSThe Vauxhall Insignia is surprisingly good to drive, practical and with a great range of punchy diesel engines
- 4BMW 320dBMW returned to form with the latest 3 Series by shedding weight, improving driving dynamics and adding an impressive array of technology
- 5Mercedes S 350 dMassive road presence and a cosseting interior mean the Mercedes S-Class is our top luxury car, and it's at its best in diesel guise
- 6Volvo XC90 D5 MomentumThe XC90 comes with a variety of powertrains, but the diesel is still the best all-rounder
- 7Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDIThe Skoda Karoq had big shoes to fill in the shape of the popular Yeti, but its appeal is amplified by sensible diesel engines
- 8Honda Civic i-DTECSmooth and refined i-DTEC diesel adds another string to hatchback's bow
- 9Range Rover SDV6 VogueThe Range Rover mixes incredible refinement with go anywhere off-road capability, especially with the V6 diesel
- 10BMW 520dThe 520d is a great all-rounder - mixing comfort, economy and performance in a practical package
- 11Peugeot 3008 1.5 BlueHDiThe Peugeot 3008’s bold looks, funky interior and efficient diesel engines make it hugely appealing