11. Toyota GT 86: The real deal
"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
Set in a CGI world that looks like a computer game, with the main character driving around a futuristic city looking for something real. “Can you feel it? Can you feel the thrill of being alive? Neither can I. There is no ‘real’ in this town,” the narrator complains. But that all changes when he finds a Toyota GT 86 and sets off with the authorities in hot pursuit. The advert ends with him breaking his way out of the fake city.
The expert view
“Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern. Positioning the GT 86 as the car that’s as close to the gaming car is brave, and it’s a clever way of making it look fast.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal - currently reading"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car