Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport - best family cars
With plenty of space in saloon and estate forms, the upmarket Insignia Grand Sport makes a great family car
Once the darling of repmobile fleets across the land, the Vauxhall Insignia always lacked the style and premium feel of some of its saloon car rivals. Happily, the car’s replacement, the Insignia Grand Sport, has transformed the dowdy Insignia into a sporty, stylish family car.
Vauxhall has given the new Insignia GS a bold look that's sure to turn heads - whether you choose the hatchback or Sports Tourer estate - while interior quality is on a par with rivals such as the VW Passat and Skoda Superb. Cabin space is just as good, too, with plenty of legroom in the back and comfortable seats all round.
The engine range is refined, punchy and economical, which will be attractive to family and business users alike, while the most powerful petrol and diesel engines will be perfect for towing, too. The Insignia GS is a firm favourite with us as it won the 2019 Auto Express Family Car of the Year.
All in all, Vauxhall is onto a winner with the latest Insignia and should be on any family car buyer's shopping list.
Best family cars to buy in 2020
- 1IntroductionFamily car buyers are in a good position, whether they need an SUV or affordable hatchback, there is a great family car for everyone
- 21. Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport - currently readingWith plenty of space in saloon and estate forms, the upmarket Insignia Grand Sport makes a great family car
- 32. Skoda SuperbIt's a cliché, but the spacious and stylish Superb really does live up to its name
- 43. Toyota Prius Toyota pioneered hybrid technology with the Prius, but the latest version makes for an impressive family car
- 54. Volkswagen GolfThe Mk7 Volkswagen Golf may be a bit long in the tooth, but it's still a well-rounded family car
- 65. Ford FocusIt’s easy to see why the Ford Focus remains so popular with its agile handling and spacious cabin
- 76. Citroen C4 SpaceTourerThe C4 SpaceTourer has acres of space and futuristic looks that set it apart from the MPV pack
- 87. Kia e-NiroWith a near-300-mile range, this electric crossover is a great, affordable way into electric car ownership that’s great for families
- 98. Hyundai Kona ElectricThe head-turning Kona Electric is a stylish electric car with a great range and low price
- 109. Skoda KaroqIn a highly competitive class, the Karoq stands out as one of the best small SUVs for family motorists
- 1110. Peugeot 3008A funky French crossover with substance to match the style