1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
What else could top this list? The Aston Martin DB5 is quite possibly the most famous car in history, thanks to its starring role in one of the best Bond movies of all time – Goldfinger.
Bond’s DB5 had everything: drop-dead gorgeous looks, speed and enough gadgets to get 007 out of any tricky situation. The DB5 was equipped with an ejector seat, front mounted machine guns, a bulletproof screen, tyre shredders, a GPS tracker, an oil slick… and we could go on.
The car’s iconic nature meant that it reappeared for cameos in other Bond movies; after a long absence of around 30 years, the DB5 briefly appeared in GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies. Among the more memorable moments in recent Bond films was the time Daniel Craig’s 007 used the car to escape Silva in Skyfall, and employed the car’s front-mounted machine guns to defend Skyfall Lodge.
Rockstar Games even parodied the Bond car in Grand Theft Auto V. The in-game car is called the Dewbauchee JB700, and is the focus of a mission in the main storyline. The player uses the car's in-built machine guns, spike deployment and ejector seat to evade the police.
Do you agree with the results of our poll on the best movie cars ever? Are there any other great movie cars you think should have made the cut? Leave us a comment below!
Top 10 greatest movie cars of all time
- • 10. Cadillac Miller Meteor Ambulance - Ghostbusters
- • 9. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- • 8. Ford Falcon XB - Mad Max
- • 7. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love Bug
- • 6. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- • 5. Lotus Esprit S1 - The Spy Who Loved Me
- • 4. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- • 3. Mini Cooper - The Italian Job
- • 2. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- • 1. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger
- 1IntroductionWe asked readers to vote on their favourite movie cars of all time and these are the results...
- 210. Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance - GhostbustersWhen we first saw the Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance/hearse cross in Ghostbusters, it was a rusty black wreck of a thing.
- 39. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Chitty Chitty Bang BangNot only does Chitty Chitty Bang Bang look brilliant, but it also (spoiler alert!) flies!
- 48. Ford Falcon XB - Mad MaxIn this case, we’re talking about the star car from the original Mad Max, not Fury Road.
- 57. Volkswagen Beetle - Herbie, The Love BugAs the only car on this list that has a mind of its own, the affectionately named Herbie stole millions of hearts when it was first seen on screens in 1968.
- 66. Ferrari 250 GT California - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- 75. Lotus Esprit S1 - James Bond: The Spy Who Loved MeOne of two Bond cars to make this list, the Lotus Esprit wasn’t the fastest car Bond had, or the most desirable.
- 84. Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Bullitt
- 93. Mini Cooper - The Italian JobThe success of the Mini showed no signs of slowing down during the sixties – not only was it a fashion icon owned by celebrities, but it was cheap and practical enough to be popular with families.
- 102. DeLorean DMC-12 - Back to the Future
- 111. Aston Martin DB5 - James Bond: Goldfinger - currently reading