Best used coupes
The Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used coupe: Audi TT Mk2
Prices from: £7,500Our pick: Audi TT 2012 (12) 2.0 TFSI S line, 55,000 miles, £10,499
The original TT broke new ground for the German brand, and two decades since its launch, it’s easy to forget how important it was in revitalising Audi’s image. The second-generation TT built on that with more tech and improved dynamics, so combined with its affordability, the TT is our Best Used Coupé.
It still boasts attractive styling, even compared with the newer, more angular Mk3 model, while there’s plenty of urgency on offer courtesy of the turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine. After all, a coupé that looks like this has to offer performance to match.
There is a TDI diesel model if you want a striking car that offers a bit more economy, but our pick is the sharper, more responsive 208bhp 2.0 TFSI, because it feels much more fun to drive.
Prices start from just under £7,500, so the TT represents affordable fun, but we’d add a few thousand more to your budget for a newer, lower-mileage model. Make it a manual, because the automatic dual-clutch gearboxes aren’t as rewarding to drive nor as reliable.
Adaptive dampers are a top option to look for when buying, because they balance ride comfort and handling well, but all models offer a balance of grip, comfort and refinement that makes it a great day-to-day car that still feels special to own. There’s also the option of quattro four-wheel drive for extra traction when winter hits; just remember it’ll bump up the price. Front-wheel-drive cars are better value as a result.
Compared with modern Audis’, the infotainment is more limited, but features such as sat-nav and iPod connectivity are still available, while the leather interior gives a premium feel, even in cars that have covered as many miles as the model we’ve picked out.
Driving: TT is a great all-rounder that can be fun when you want and comfortable when taking it easy.
Interior: Snug cockpit adds to sporty appeal and leather is a nice touch, but tight back seats are best for luggage.
This is another case of a five-year-old-plus car, so your finance options are limited to leasing.
However, you can still find some attractive deals on the TT. BuyaCar.co.uk is quoting £296 per month based on the spec of car we’ve picked out.
This might look on the pricey side for a six-year-old coupé, but compare this with leasing costs on newer models and you’ll see it’s actually a reasonable deal.
Mercedes E-Class Coupé
Style, just enough space and a premium image characterise the E-Class Coupé. We’d go for a 2013 facelifted version with the 250 CDI engine; it will be efficient but doesn’t compromise the upmarket image.
A used 8 Series could be a ticket to a world of pain, but those looks and effortless style make this a slice of sports coupé history. Sink some cash into maintenance and you might even make money on it.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupes - currently readingThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018