Best compact family car
Which compact family cars give the best combination of style and practicality?
The compact family class used to be dominated by hatchback models like the Volkswagen Golf. But in recent years, this class has evolved to include crossovers that boast the same amount of space, as well as similar running costs and purchase price.
Winner: Skoda Yeti The Skoda Yeti is the best compact family car, as well as our overall Driver Power winner. Owners tell us it’s got everything a family could ask for: plenty of space in the back seats and boot, an easy driving experience and a well built cabin that feels like it will last forever. The Yeti’s first-place finish in the handling category shows it’s fun to drive, too.
Last place: Peugeot 307 You want a car to make you and your family feel safe behind the wheel and you’ve told us the Peugeot 307 simply doesn’t do that. You rated it 99th for braking, 99th for handling and 100th for performance. It doesn’t offer the kind of practicality families are looking for, either, as it came 99th in that category. The 307’s best finish was 82nd for running costs.
See the results…
- 1IntroductionWhich city car is the best? Which SUV should you avoid? Find out in our rundown of the best and worst cars in each class
- 2Best superminiWhich models offer the benefits of a small car, with the reassurance and solidity of something a bit bigger?
- 3Best compact family car - currently readingWhich compact family cars give the best combination of style and practicality?
- 4Best family carValue, practicality and reliability are essential values in the family car sector
- 5Best compact executive carQuality, durability and prestige are what buyers look for, and you’ve told us who does it best
- 6Best executive carWhich executive cars manage the tricky combination of prestige, comfort and dynamics?
- 7Best sports carOur survey finds out which sports cars give you the biggest thrills
- 8Best MPVWhich cars carry the family and all their clobber from A to B most effectively?
- 9Best SUVWhich off-roader has the best mix of style and substance?