Hennessey Venom GT - world's fastest road cars
The unholy alliance of a Lotus Exige and Corvette V8 creates one of the fastest cars in the world
Top speed: 270mphPrice: £750,000
Based on a modified Lotus Exige and packing a mighty 1,244bhp twin-turbocharged version of the Chevrolet Corvette’s V8 engine, the Hennessey Venom is capable of an astonishing 270mph. It proved that fact in 2014 on the tarmac of the Space Shuttle runway at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
However, there’s a caveat. To get an entry into the Guinness Book of Records, the Venom would have had to run at an average of 270mph+ over a measured mile in both directions to account for any tailwinds. It hasn’t. Instead, Hennessey says the Venom reached its peak speed at the end of a single acceleration run, and we don’t know if there was a following wind.
Either way, the idea of bolting a monstrous twin-turbo V8 into a Lotus Exige will terrify anyone who's ever driven the tiny track car, but of course Hennessey extensively modifies the entire package to create the Venom GT.
However, the latest development out of Texas is an all-new model called the Venom F5, which is claimed to be able to break the 300mph barrier. That would be 22.1mph faster than the current record held by the Agera RS, if it can live up to the claim.
Will it break it? Who knows, but it is safe to say that the future looks bright for petrol heads and speed freaks as the industry heavyweights shape up for a high-speed slugging match.
Top 10 fastest road cars 2019
- 1IntroductionJoin the 200mph+ club, as we round up the fastest road cars on sale in 2019
- 21. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish supercar maker builds unique one-off models, and the Agera RS is officially the fastest of all
- 32. Hennessey Venom GT - currently readingThe unholy alliance of a Lotus Exige and Corvette V8 creates one of the fastest cars in the world
- 43. Bugatti ChironIt's been improved over the Veyron in every area, although the Chiron's top speed has yet to be verified
- 54. W Motors Fenyr SupersportAnother obscure car maker, most famous for appearing in the Fast & Furious films
- 65. Pagani HuayraThe Huayra is like a precision timepiece with lots of hand-crafted details inside
- 76. Zenvo TS1 GTDanish supercar maker has hit the ground running with its bespoke hypercars
- 87. Noble M600British supercar maker goes back to basics to deliver phenomenal speed
- 98. Lamborghini Aventador SThe Aventador is the closest thing you'll get to a mass production car in this list
- 109. Ford GTSecond generation GT is designed with racing in mind, so a mega top speed comes naturally
- 1110. McLaren 720SConstant evolution has resulted in the 720S, the most accessible supercar in our top 10