9. Fiat Strada: Built by robots
It shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
It shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack. Every aspect of the factory line is fully automated, with robot arms assembling and painting each part of the car, and transporters moving autonomously across the floor to deliver partially built chassis to the next stage. It finishes with a line of six Stradas driving around a track and then up on to a moving car transporter.
The expert view
“A visual feast. For the audience in 1979 this was as close to sci-fi as you could get. It was like watching two minutes of the Star Wars movie – no one had seen anything like it before. The ad also makes it seem like lots of care has gone into building the cars.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robots - currently readingIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car