Honda S2000 1999-2009
Honda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
In the late nineties Honda mixed its advanced engineering with a two-seat convertible body to create a product to rival the likes of the Porsche Boxster: the S2000. As with the NSX and Civic Type Rs, the bespoke 2.0-litre VTEC was the engine that defined this car, delivering 240bhp and revving all the way to 9,000rpm.
Early models were notorious for darty handling in the wrong hands, but this meant the S2000 had the agility of a housefly. Honda retained this for a facelifted car in 2004, but added more stability with a re-tuned rear suspension set-up. Cornering performance was helped by the roadster’s front-engined, rear-wheel-drive layout, giving great weight distribution.
The stiff bodyshell meant the S2000 felt composed for a convertible, and with the bonus of the wind in your hair ramping up the sensation of speed (not that it needed it), this thrilling Honda was a tactile delight.
Honda S2000: key specs
Engine: 2.0-litre 4cylPower: 240bhpTorque: 208NmTransmission: Six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive0-62mph: 6.6 secondsTop speed: 150mphOn sale: 1999-2009
The all-time best fast Hondas
1. Honda NSX 1990-20052. Honda Civic Type R 2017-date3. Honda Civic Type R 2001-20054. Honda S2000 1999-20095. Honda Integra Type R 1995-20016. Honda Accord Type R 1998-20027. Honda Civic Type R 1997-20008. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20109. Honda CR-X VTEC 1989-199210. Honda S800 1967-1970
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionHonda has a heritage rich in performance but which are the best ever fast Honda cars? Our top 10 countdown rates the living legends
- 21. Honda NSX The NSX was Honda's first ever supercar and is also first on our list
- 32. Honda Civic Type R 2017-dateThe latest Honda Civic Type R grabs 2nd spot in our all-time greatest fast Hondas round-up
- 43. Honda Civic Type R 2001-2005The first Honda Civic Type R to be sold officially in the UK sits 3rd in our greatest Hondas list
- 54. Honda S2000 - currently readingHonda's free-revving S2000 roadster was a hit with owners and comes 4th in our best fast Hondas list
- 65. Honda Integra Type R 1995-2001The hardcore Honda Integra Type R takes 5th place in our all-time fast hondas top 10
- 76. Honda Accord Type R 1998-2002Honda's Accord Type R takes 6th place in our greatest fast Hondas top 10
- 87. Honda Civic Type R 1997-2000The original Civic Type R never came to the UK officially but it still takes 7th in our best fast Hondas list
- 98. Honda Civic Type R 2007-20108th place in our top 10 best fast Hondas list goes to the 2007 Honda Civic Type R
- 109. Honda CR-X VTEC9th place in our top 10 greatest fast Hondas goes to the Honda CR-X VTEC
- 1110. Honda S800At 10 in our top 10 fast Hondas is the S800 roadster.