Toyota Yaris - best superminis
The Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain
Prices: £12,995-£20,100Engines: 1.0, 1.5-litre petrol; 1.5-litre petrol hybridTrims: Active, Icon, Icon Tech, Y20, GR Sport, ExcelEconomy: 43.4-58.8mpgCO2: 84-118g/km0-62mph: 11.0-15.3 seconds
Toyota has set the Yaris apart from its rivals by offering the only proper hybrid powertrain in the class. Most superminis are more practical, more fun to drive and better equipped, but none provides the option of true petrol-electric power. This electrified Yaris offers the best emissions and fuel economy in the range – as low as 84g/km of CO2 and up to 58.8mpg.
Other engines in the line-up are also relatively economical despite their lack of electrification; there’s a 1.0 petrol, but no diesel option. No Yaris is especially fun to drive and those fitted with CVT gearboxes can get a bit thrashy out of town, but the car is a solidly built, reliable choice that comes with an attractive five-year warranty.
Interior space is a key strength. There’s enough room in the back for three people to sit comfortably with loads of head and legroom. The latter is hampered slightly in hybrids because their batteries are mounted in the floor, but boot capacity is unaffected.
Best superminis to buy now
- 1IntroductionIt's a hard-fought class, but these are the 10 best superminis on sale right now
- 21. Ford FiestaThe latest Ford Fiesta picks up where the old car left off, but is improved in every area
- 32. SEAT IbizaThe latest SEAT Ibiza uses the VW Group's cutting-edge tech to boost its appeal
- 43. MINI 5-doorThe MINI remains as popular as ever and is one of the best superminis on sale
- 54. Skoda FabiaYou can save some cash by going for the Skoda Fabia over the VW Polo, but you won't lose much else
- 65. Citroen C3Funky looking Citroen C3 supermini has plenty of space and low running costs
- 76. Volkswagen PoloIt's not the best looking supermini, but its breadth of talents helps the Volkswagen Polo stand out
- 87. Dacia SanderoThe no-frills Dacia Sandero is cheap, but it gets the basics right
- 98. Kia RioThe Kia Rio boasts plenty of kit and the Korean brand's impressive seven-year warranty
- 109. Mazda 2Want the handling of a sports car in a supermini? Look no further than the Mazda 2
- 1110. Toyota Yaris - currently readingThe Toyota Yaris is a popular supermini choice thanks to its hybrid powertrain