Audi A4 review - Reliability and safety
A raft of safety tech ensures you’ll be safe on the road, but three-year warranty cover is only average
Safety is obviously high on the agenda for the A4. It gets impressive brakes, which offer superior pedal feel and increased stopping power than before. This is combined with pre-sense city braking that can automatically brake the car to lessen the force of a collision at under 53mph and even stop the car at less than 25mph.
The A4 also gets adaptive cruise control, which is able to control the throttle, brakes and steering at crawling speeds or keep itself within its lane at higher speeds.
The A4 finished in 60th place, on a 75-car list, in the Driver Power best cars to own survey. There was further representation from Audi, with the Q3 small SUV in 43rd spot, Q2 crossover in 55th position and A3 hatchback in 59th place.
As standard, every A4 comes with a three-year 60,000-mile warranty. However, owners also have the option to increase that if they desire. At extra cost, buyers can opt for a four-year warranty that extends up to 75,000 miles, while a five-year/90,000-mile warranty is also available.
The cost of a service on the A4 can vary depending on how many miles you cover and which servicing regime you've gone for. As standard it works out at 10,000 miles or every 12 months. But if you do more motorway miles than average, putting the engine under lighter loads, then you can go for a variable service interval, which means you could drive your A4 for two years before needing to visit a dealer. As with the extended warranties, Audi offers fixed-price service plans that you can bundle in with your monthly finance payments.
In this review
- 1Audi A4 reviewThe Audi A4 executive saloon impresses with its build quality, technical specification and driving performance
- 2Engines, performance and driveNot the sharpest to drive in its class, but the A4 is a leader in terms of long distance refinement
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsEfficient but powerful engines deliver strong performance without sky-high running costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe A4 has the best interior in its class by some margin. It’s crammed with tech and beautifully crafted
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceFeaturing a decent sized boot boot and generous passenger space, the A4 is more practical than you might think
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingA raft of safety tech ensures you’ll be safe on the road, but three-year warranty cover is only average
- 7Deals and offersThe latest finance deals and special offers on the Audi A4 saloon and Avant estate