Bugatti Chiron - world's fastest road cars
It's been improved over the Veyron in every area, although the Chiron's top speed has yet to be verified
Top speed: 261mph (electronically limited)Price: £2.1million
The Bugatti Veyron set new records when it arrived. It was the first production car to exceed 250mph, while the Super Sport version raised the maximum to 267.9mph. But with more power and an improved driving experience, the Bugatti Chiron should make mincemeat of its ancestor's figures.
Why do we say should? Because the Chiron has yet to officially undertake a top speed run. Bugatti quotes a top speed of 261mph, but that is electronically limited for safety, largely because the tyres aren't quite at the peak of development to cope with prolonged running at higher speeds.
Still, 261mph (or 420kmh in metric) is fast enough for the Chiron to be the third fastest hypercar on sale today, and it has a number of other figures to justify its £2.1million price. 0-62mph takes 2.4 seconds, while 0–124 mph comes up in 6.5 seconds, and it takes just over half a minute to reach 250 mph. Bugatti managed to break the 300mph barrier in 2019 in a modified prototype Chiron at the Ehra-Lessien test track in Germany with a timed run of 304.774mph.
Top 10 fastest road cars 2019
- 1IntroductionJoin the 200mph+ club, as we round up the fastest road cars on sale in 2019
- 21. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish supercar maker builds unique one-off models, and the Agera RS is officially the fastest of all
- 32. Hennessey Venom GTThe unholy alliance of a Lotus Exige and Corvette V8 creates one of the fastest cars in the world
- 43. Bugatti Chiron - currently readingIt's been improved over the Veyron in every area, although the Chiron's top speed has yet to be verified
- 54. W Motors Fenyr SupersportAnother obscure car maker, most famous for appearing in the Fast & Furious films
- 65. Pagani HuayraThe Huayra is like a precision timepiece with lots of hand-crafted details inside
- 76. Zenvo TS1 GTDanish supercar maker has hit the ground running with its bespoke hypercars
- 87. Noble M600British supercar maker goes back to basics to deliver phenomenal speed
- 98. Lamborghini Aventador SThe Aventador is the closest thing you'll get to a mass production car in this list
- 109. Ford GTSecond generation GT is designed with racing in mind, so a mega top speed comes naturally
- 1110. McLaren 720SConstant evolution has resulted in the 720S, the most accessible supercar in our top 10