Fiat 500 review - Reliability and safety
The 500 includes excellent levels of safety kit, while servicing costs should be reasonable
Fiat is not well known for its reliability, and customer feedback from our latest Driver Power survey placed the manufacturer in 23rd spot out of 30 in the Best brands segment. It’s still too early to tell how the battery-powered 500 will be received by city car customers, but we think it has all the right qualities to perform well. The petrol version has had a consistent showing in the Best cars to own poll, finishing 45th out of 75 cars in 2020.
The new 500 is yet to be tested by Euro NCAP, but standard safety equipment is good with entry Action versions coming with Attention Assist (Drowsiness Detection), Lane Keeping Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition with Intelligent Speed Assistant and Autonomous Emergency Braking. The optional Fiat Co-Driver Pack includes a full suite of active safety systems, along with Level 2 semi-autonomous driving which uses a front-facing camera system to monitor the road ahead.
Due to the all-electric 500 having fewer wear and tear items than a conventional model, Fiat claims its scheduled maintenance costs will be up to 35 per cent less than a combustion-engined equivalent, while it offers individual service plans to help keep your car in good shape.
Fiat offers a standard three-year warranty, with an option to extend cover for an additional 12 or 24 months at extra cost.
In this review
- 1Fiat 500 reviewThe all-electric Fiat 500 fulfills its city car brief brilliantly, and is one of the best EVs you can buy today
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe 500 excels in and around town; easy to drive with decent levels of refinement
- 3Range, charging and running costsWith competitive pricing, reasonable insurance costs and solid residual values, the all-electric Fiat 500 should be cheap to run
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe 500 just oozes style, while new on-board tech adds to the appeal
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceIf it fits with your lifestyle, then the 500 city car should offer more than enough comfort and flexibility
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe 500 includes excellent levels of safety kit, while servicing costs should be reasonable