Nissan Leaf - best low emissions green cars
Nissan Leaf was one of the pioneering electric cars, and the Mk2 is better than ever
Before the Nissan Leaf arrived, electric car ownership was seen as a bit of a niche pursuit in the UK. Up until 2009, the best-selling electric 'car' in the UK was the G-Wiz, but its poor quality, short range and lack of safety meant it was basic to say the least.
It's fair to say that the Nissan Leaf transformed the electric car market when it arrived in 2010. Its conventional hatchback looks are appealing, while it has just enough of a hi-tech look to let people know about its electric drive system. The updated Mk2 arrived in 2018 with a bigger battery for a longer range, plus a variety of useful driver assist systems.
The nose features a flap which covers the charging socket, but apart from that and some Zero Emissions badges and a lack of exhaust, the Leaf looks like any other five-door hatchback. Step inside, and there's room for five, while the dashboard features a hi-tech display to help you monitor the electric range.
Nissan has given the Leaf constant updates over its life, and as battery technology has progressed, so the car's range has grown. The latest car has a claimed range of around 215 miles, so you'd be able to travel 150 miles without recharging pretty easily - you wouldn't even need to employ energy-saving techniques to achieve this.
Best green cars 2019
- 1. BMW i3
- 2. Toyota Prius
- 3. Jaguar I-Pace
- 4. VW Passat GTE
- 5. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 CDTi ecoFLEX
- 6. Nissan Leaf
- 7. Volvo XC60 T8
- 8. Tesla Model S
- 9. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
- 10. Hyundai Ioniq
- 1IntroductionLow emissions and good fuel economy go hand-in-hand - here are 10 cars that deliver low everyday running costs
- 21. BMW i3You can have zero emissions with the all-electric i3, or there's a petrol range extender, too
- 32. Toyota PriusToyota’s Prius is the car that popularised hybrid technology and the latest model shows how far it’s come
- 43. Jaguar I-PaceThe I-Pace electric SUV puts Jaguar in the driving seat of efficient yet upmarket motoring
- 54. VW Passat GTEThe Volkswagen Passat GTE delivers the perfect combination of driving thrills and low emissions
- 65. Vauxhall Astra 1.6 CDTi ecoFLEXThe Vauxhall Astra 1.6 CDTi ecoFLEX offers cheap running costs and low emissions
- 76. Nissan Leaf - currently readingNissan Leaf was one of the pioneering electric cars, and the Mk2 is better than ever
- 87. Volvo XC60 T8The Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine combines an electric motor, plug-in battery and 2.0-litre petrol engine
- 98. Tesla Model SWho said electric cars have to be dull? The Tesla Model S is a green car with some fire in its belly
- 109. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVMitsubishi’s hybrid Outlander PHEV sets the standard for SUV efficiency.
- 1110. Hyundai IoniqWhether you want an EV, plug-in or hybrid, the Hyundai Ioniq has all bases covered