Best used mid-size 4x4s and SUVs
The Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used mid-sized SUV: Nissan Qashqai
Prices from: £6,950Our pick: Nissan Qashqai 2015 (15) 1.5 dCi Acenta, 84,000 miles, £8,695
When the second-generation Nissan Qashqai arrived in 2014, it stood tall at the top of the mid-size family SUV class it helped to popularise in the first place. Now, just four years later, you can pick one up for very reasonable money on the second-hand market.
The Qashqai’s benefits include practicality, a spacious cabin and lots of equipment on our chosen Acenta model, including parking sensors, climate control and Bluetooth connectivity.
The 1.5-litre dCi turbodiesel engine emits just 99g/km of CO2, meaning it’s free to tax and is very economical. We found several examples with this motor in Acenta trim from around £10,000, a few with low mileage for a four-year-old family car.
The 430-litre boot is big enough for the needs of most families, while the Qashqai is refined and the engine quiet at a cruise. It can get noisy if you rev the motor hard, but keep it calm using the manual gearbox to shift up early – there’s plenty of torque to allow this – and the car is relatively refined inside.
The Nissan rides smoothly most of the time, and its composed chassis makes it easy to drive. The steering and gearbox are well weighted, and there’s not as much body roll as you might expect from a high-riding car like this. The Qashqai set a benchmark for the class when it arrived, and while modern rivals are better to drive, it still makes a strong case as a used buy.
The brand’s official economy figure was more than 74mpg when the car was launched, and we found this equates to around 50mpg in real-world use. There are also lots of examples to choose from, because Nissan has sold thousands of Qashqais since the model was launched, including a facelifted version last year.
On the road: Good refinement and a torquey turbodiesel engine make Qashqai a fine cruiser. It also drives well.
Interior: Spacious cabin, a long kit list with Acenta trim and decent boot space make Qashqai a good family car.
Auto Express’s Car of the last 30 years, the Nissan Qashqai, is one of the best crossovers on sale.
While a facelift last year smartened the car up slightly, the changes weren’t major, so used versions offer similar levels of efficiency, performance and practicality to new models, even if the tech isn’t quite as strong. But then neither is the price on finance; you can pick up our chosen spec for as little as £156 per month.
The Yeti will go down in history as a design classic. Its characterful looks hide a very practical and good-to-drive family SUV. This robust and versatile Skoda is available from as little as £3,395 now, although we’d pay a bit more for a model with a sensible mileage that’s been well looked after.
Kia Soul EV
There are few options if you want electric power with your next SUV. The Kia Soul EV is a family car that’s really cheap to run and is one of the quirkiest-looking SUVs. Ultra-quiet running and never visiting a petrol station again are huge benefits, but the 93-mile range is limiting.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family carsThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVs - currently readingThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018