Porsche Cayenne review - Reliability and safety
New safety technology delivers a great Euro NCAP result, and the reliability reputation is strong, too
As you’d expect from a company with the engineering standing of Porsche, the latest Cayenne has a rock-hewn reputation and is undoubtedly screwed together well. Sharing the Audi Q7 platform means it benefits from the full weight of VW Group safety tech as well, so features such as autonomous braking, lane-keeping assistance, cross traffic alert and active cruise control are all available as part of the package.
Euro NCAP has tested the latest Cayenne, and it performed very well with a full five-star rating, along with a strong 95% rating for adult occupant safety.
The Cayenne didn’t feature in our 2020 Driver Power survey. However, the Porsche brand as a whole and the Cayenne have a strong reputation for reliability and build quality.
The Porsche model range is covered with a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty, and European breakdown cover is included, too. Porsche Approved warranty extensions can be bought as well, but you have to pay for an inspection if you want to extend outside your first year of ownership.
The Porsche Cayenne has a servicing regime that includes an annual oil service, with minor services at two years or 20,000 miles and a more significant visit to your dealer at four years or 40,000 miles. The costs reflect the premium nature of the Porsche brand, with a minor service costing around £450 and a major service coming in at £600 or so. Maintenance costs in general will be on the high side too, especially if you drive hard and use up consumables such as brake pads and tyres earlier than you might have expected.
In this review
- 1VerdictSports car performance and full-size SUV practicality meet in the physics-defying Porsche Cayenne
- 2Engines, performance and driveAstonishing Turbo acceleration is backed by unexpectedly involving handling – even by Porsche standards
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe Cayenne is a premium SUV so running costs will be high; look to the hybrid models for improved value
- 4Interior, design and technologyInside and out, the new Cayenne has a contemporary feel that reflects its leading edge tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceSuperior refinement, plenty of toys and lots of luggage space make the Cayenne a great travelling companion
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingNew safety technology delivers a great Euro NCAP result, and the reliability reputation is strong, too