VW Golf R
The most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
Price: £33,100 (DSG)Engine: 2.0-litre 4cyl turboPower: 296bhpTorque: 380Nm0-62mph: 4.9 secondsTop speed: 155mph
The most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise. The 2.0-litre turbo has 217bhp in standard tune but you can go for a Performance Pack that adds another 10bhp and a limited slip-differential. The standard car is already fantastic, though – as ever, it’s comfortable enough to use every day but has a nicely balanced chassis that’ll keep you entertained every time you find a nice piece of road. Or you could go nuts, and splash out on the outrageously quick VW Golf R version, which takes all the standard Golf GTI attributes, and magnifies them with almost a third more power and four-wheel-drive. The result is ballistic performance that’s knocking on the door of supercar territory, and if you’re after the ultimate in family practicality there’s even an estate version of the Golf R too.
- 1IntroductionHaving a family shouldn't limit you to a boring estate or people carrier - here's our top 10 fast family cars
- 2Porsche Macan TurboIf you think that a compact SUV can’t be a fast, fun car, then think again
- 3BMW M3Not many models on the road carry the same weight of expectation as the BMW M3.
- 4SEAT Leon Cupra 290Costing about the same price as a Golf GTI, but with 69bhp more, the Leon Cupra 290 shouldn’t be ignored by anybody in the market for a hot hatchback
- 5Mercedes-AMG C63Anyone who’s ever admired a regular Mercedes C-Class, will positively be drooling over the AMG C63 version – especially in hottest S trim.
- 6Audi RS6 AvantWhile the Merc AMGs have always been popular as estate versions, it’s the hot Audi Avants that arguably offer a smidge more practicality.
- 7Skoda Octavia vRS
- 8VW Golf R - currently readingThe most famous hot hatch you can buy is better than ever in its latest guise
- 9Alpina D3Fast and fun cars don’t just have to run on petrol.
- 10Ford Focus RS
- 11Tesla Model S P90DThe Tesla Model S P90D is a great family cruiser, that’s comfortable, refined and – as an electric-only car – extremely quiet