BMW M4 Competition Pack - best rear-wheel-drive cars
A mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
BMW's M Division has a long history of building thrilling rear-drive performance cars. However, the last M4 was a little bit wide of the mark. It was good, but outstanding, while features like the artificial engine note piped into the cabin were too gimmicky for a supposed performance machine.
However, the recent range update saw a new version of the M4 Coupe appear, the CS, while the standard car can be upgraded with the Competition Pack. These models took some of the lessons learned from the limited-run M4 GTS and have put the M4 Coupe back in the running for the title of best performance coupe.
The updated M4 Competition Pack is more progressive than before, making the car easier to drive quickly, but it still has that focused edge that gives it an edge over rivals like the Mercedes-AMG C63 and Audi RS5 Coupe. We'd just steer clear of the M4 Convertible - the extra weight of the folding roof makes it more of a cruiser than a focused sporting machine.
- 1IntroductionRear-wheel drive is supposed to be the drivetrain layout that delivers the most fun. Here are 10 cars that do exactly that
- 21. Mazda MX-5It's a roadster that channels the best of British sports cars, and the MX-5 is in a class of its own
- 32. Porsche 718 BoxsterIt's the entry point to the Porsche range, but the Boxster is still a hugely entertaining machine
- 43. Toyota GT86Toyota;s RWD hero always raises a smile.
- 54. McLaren 570SMcLaren has used its F1 expertise to quickly gain a foothold in the supercar class
- 65. Ferrari 812 SuperfastLatest front-engined V12 supercar is a 200mph+ powerhouse
- 76. Porsche 911It's the definition of a sports car, and the latest model is the best-handling one yet
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesExecutive saloons don't deliver such driver-focused ability as the 5 Series
- 98. Jaguar XECompact saloon is light, fun to drive and easy on the wallet, too
- 109. BMW M4 Coupe Competition Pack - currently readingA mid-life update revitalised BMW's super coupe to put it at the front of the pack
- 1110. Mercedes-AMG C 63Heavy metal coupe packs huge V8 punch for a thrilling drive